For the branch line between Gortatlea and Castleisland in Kerry County, the GSWR had two vehicles built in Inchicore in 1890, which can be described as precursors to the steam railcar. Since commercial traffic with regular passenger trains could hardly be carried out on the line, an extra light tank locomotive was combined with a passenger compartment. However, according to Locomotive Magazine, issue May 1903, the passenger compartments were not actually used for their intended purpose.
schematic drawing after the rebuild
Locomotive Magazine, November 1903
Later the locomotives were moved to the Fermoy-Mitchelstown line in Cork County, which used a very light rail profile, only 50 pounds per yard. While no heavier locomotives could be used there, the axle load of the two vehicles was low enough. Here they had to conquer gradients of 1 in 60. The passenger compartments were soon removed, allowing the locomotives to be used as conventional tank locomotives. They spent the last years of their service as shunting locomotives in the port of Cork.