When considering the development of the optimal form of propulsion for light shunting locomotives, the idea for a dual-powered locomotive with electric drive and a diesel engine to charge the battery came up. The basic idea was that these locomotive only need a large part of their maximum output to get a train moving, so that a weaker unit would suffice for charging. In 1933, road number V 16 004 was created as a test model for the new type of power plant. It was a three-axle locomotive with three nose-suspended motors of 50 kW each. These were powered by a battery that was charged by a four-cylinder Deutz diesel engine.
Analysis of operation with conventional shunting locomotives led to the conclusion that the machine to be developed would require an average of around one-fifth to one-tenth of its maximum output over the entire period of use. It was therefore sufficient to compare the 150 kW total output of the electric motors with a diesel unit of only 55 kW. In order to ensure the best possible conditions for the engine driver when shunting, the driver's cab was installed in the middle of the locomotive. It was thus located between two hoods of approximately the same size and had two driver's desks. The diesel engine and 64 of the 160 cells of the battery were in one of the hoods, and the remaining cells in the other.
During the test phase, which lasted several years, the one-off proved itself excellently in the shunting of trains weighing up to 600 tonnes. Due to the war preparations, however, series production did not take place and road number V 16 004 was finally parked. The engine was later used by the Reichsbahn of the GDR at several train stations in Berlin. A general overhaul took place in 1957, which brought with it a new diesel engine and new battery cells. From 1960, the designation was changed to road number A 20 090. A short time later, the locomotive was rented to a concrete works before it was sold to a housing construction company in 1966 and finally scrapped in 1977.