The E 18, manufactured from 1935, was already a step forward in terms of top speed and performance compared to the earlier electric locomotives, but the Reichsbahn was already planning to operate at even higher speeds at this point. The goal was a continuous connection from Berlin to Munich at speeds of up to 180 km/h. The 2.9 percent of the Frankenwaldbahn had to be overcome, which required sufficient power. Therefore, in 1937, the Reichsbahn ordered road numbers E 19 01 and 02 from AEG and road numbers E 19 11 and 12 from SSW.
The locomotives were designed differently, but all represented a further development of the E 18 and also looked very similar to it. Since even higher speeds were planned for the future, the locomotives were technically designed for speeds of up to 225 km/h. The hourly output was 4,000 kW for the AEG engines and 4,080 kW for the SSW engines. More welded parts were used than before and a more powerful brake system and a dynamic brake were installed. Locomotives 11 and 12 differed significantly from the E 18 and had, among other things, double motors. The transformer windings were made of aluminum to reduce dependence on copper imports. Since these were very vulnerable, they were later replaced with copper.
Intensive test drives were undertaken with the locomotives, during which power levels of over 5,000 kW and speeds of around 200 km/h were reported. It soon became apparent that, despite the reinforced braking system, the distant signal distance of 1,000 meters could no longer be maintained at such high speeds, which made operation without technical aids too unsafe. Due to the cessation of express traffic at the beginning of the war, there was no series production of the E 19. After the war, all were stationed in Nuremberg by the Bundesbahn and used in commercial operation. Since high speeds were no longer required and were initially not possible on the existing network, the maximum speed was limited to 140 km/h. They were listed as class 119 from 1968 and retired between 1975 and 1978. Today, two locomotives are preserved in a museum, namely the E 19 01 in Berlin and the E 19 12 in Nuremberg.