With the numbers 1 to 5, the LAG procured a series of five electric locomotives between 1905 and 1930 for various areas of application. Although they looked very similar on the outside, they had big differences, especially in terms of power. Its historical importance is due to the fact that the LAG 1 was the first locomotive in Germany to be developed for single-phase alternating current. On its main line between Murnau and Oberammergau, a 5 kV and 16 2/3 Hz power system was used, which was only converted to the current system in 1954/55. All engines in this class had two axles, each driven by a nose-suspended motor. The cab was in the middle to allow good visibility in both directions. On either side was a box-like hood, the top sloping towards the ends. In addition to a number, they were given women's names (in the order 1 to 5) Katharina, Pauline, Hermine, Johanna and Adolphine.
The first engine was delivered in 1905 with mechanics and electrics from the Katharinahütte in Rohrbach and SSW and was intended for use in front of freight trains. It had an hourly output of 206 kW, a continuous output of 160 kW and weighed 23.5 tonnes.
Numbers 2 and 3 were almost identical and were delivered by Krauss and SSW in 1909 and 1912. In contrast to number 1, they were built for passenger transport in order to relieve the railcars used. With an hourly and continuous output of 352 and 306 kW, they were significantly more powerful. In 1938 and 1940 they received a modernization of the electrical equipment, which also included the installation of a dead man's switch.
169 005 (formerly No. 5 “Adolphine”) in June 2012 in Koblenz-Lützel
The LAG 4 of 1922 was an exception as it initially had a cab at the rear end. It was created from one half of a double locomotive that Siemens had already built in 1902 for high-speed tests with three-phase current. It got new motors, which together delivered an hourly and continuous output of 268 and 237 kW. In 1934, after a transformer fire, it received new machinery that corresponded to those of the other machines.
The last of the five examples was built in 1930 by Maffei and SSW for heavy freight trains. In addition to a beefier appearance with a larger cab and increased overall length, it delivered significantly higher power than its predecessors. The hourly output was now 605 and the continuous output 565 kW.
When the LAG was taken over by the Reichsbahn in 1938, the locomotives were given the designations E 69 01 to E 69 05. When the line was converted to 15 kV in 1954, the four newer engines were also converted for this system. Only road number E 69 01 was retired because it was 49 years old at the time and had clocked up 1.5 million km. The rest were retired between 1977 and 1982 and were at times the oldest electric locomotives in the Bundesbahn. All pieces can still be viewed today. While number 1 is in the Lokwelt Freilassing, number 3 in the DB Museum Koblenz-Lützel and number 4 in front of Murnau station, the other two are still operational. The No. 2 is mostly exhibited in the DB Museum Nuremberg and the No. 5 belongs to the Bavarian Localbahn Association and is used frequently.