While the first Class A Climax locomotives still had a vertical boiler and vertical cylinders, the majority of the later classes A, B and C got a horizontal boiler and laterally mounted, horizontal or inclined cylinders. The machine last run as Hillcrest Lumber Company No. 9 was a two bogie class B example. Classified in the 50-tons category, it was actually quite a bit lighter. It used oil as fuel. The maximum train loads of locomotives in this class were over 2,000 tons on level ground and 130 tons on a six percent incline.
The locomotive was built in 1915 for the M.D. Olds Lumber Company in Michigan, but turned out to be too light for their purpose and was sold to Vancouver in Canada in 1917. There it was involved in the collection of wood for aircraft construction, but after the end of the war the demand collapsed and led to another sale. After another change of ownership, it finally came to the Hillcrest Lumber Company, where it served from 1936 to 1968. It was then used a few more times for special trips and today it is on display at the British Columbia Forest Discovery Center in Duncan.