Locomotive Magazine, August 1897
No. 214 after being renumbered to 369 in May 1878
Locomotive Magazine, October 1897
Locomotive Magazine, November 1897
collection Dave Searle
Locomotive Magazine, December 1897
A total of ten small tank locomotives were grouped together under the name "South London Tanks", which showed a few differences and were built by Craven for operation in the southern suburbs of London. The first was number 212, built in July 1865 and intended for the line between South Croydon and Victoria station. It had an inner frame with inside cylinders and water tanks on the sides and under the cab. Since the tanks had a total capacity of only 645 gallons, in July 1868 another 155 gallon tank was integrated into the front of the frame, extending brlow the cylinders.
Also in July 1865 followed number 213, which now had an outer frame and belonged to a standard Craven type. It was slightly heavier than the 212, but only had a cylinder diameter of 15 instead of 16 inches. The 214 and 215 followed in November, which had a total of three water tanks in the frame instead of the side tanks. Otherwise they had a lot in common with the 213. In April 1866 Nos. 17 and 216 to 218 were built, again largely the identical to the 213 and having side tanks but with larger water and coal supplies.
Number 230, which was completed in October 1866, showed greater differences. The wheel sets were hinged in an inner frame, while there was still an outer subframe. It had a larger boiler and, like the 212, a cylinder diameter of 16 inches. The 231 delivered in the same month showed even greater differences, which had a bogie instead of a trailing axle due to significantly increased stocks.
Most engines have been renumbered over the course of their service life. There were no major modifications to the locomotives. However, they were only expected to have a relatively short life, as all were scrapped in the first half of the 1880s.