The first Engerth type locomotives, which the Southern State Railways had procured after the Semmering competition, were built in 1853 and 1854 in the Belgian Cockerill works in Seraing. The locomotives each had three coupled axles and behind the ball joint there was a two-axle tender. The firebox was roughly centered over the tender's axles. On four machines, as can be seen in the illustration, the first tender axle was connected to the coupled axles with a gear coupling and the rearmost axle was in turn driven by this via coupling rods. Although the entire weight of the locomotive and tender could be used as a adhesive weight, the technical implementation did not prove successful.
No. 622 after conversion to a tender locomotive
Only the first 16 locomotives of this series were manufactured by Cockerill. Ten more came from the Esslingen machine factory, the first of which was given the name “Kapellen”. When the railways were privatized in 1858 and the locomotives came to the Südbahngesellschaft, they became the class 19 and later the class 33. Between 1861 and 1864 all the locomotives were converted, in which they received a fourth coupled axle to support the firebox and the supporting tender was replaced by a normal tender. These machines were used until 1929.