After a few Engerth locomotives with two coupled axles and a three-axle tender for passenger service had already been built from 1855, more were built from 1856 for use in front of freight trains. Compared to the first 0-6-4T locos, they were slightly lighter and had slightly lower boiler pressure, but slightly larger coupled wheels. There were again 26 pieces, which were supplied by the locomotive factory in Wiener Neustadt. The state railway first took it over as class 21 and redesignated it as class 27 in 1864.
Between 1871 and 1884 they were also converted into normal tender locomotives. However, they did not receive an additional coupled axle, since the weight of the firebox could also be carried in this way. Until the beginning of the First World War, all examples were still in use, only in 1915 did one have to be retired. After the end of the war, all remaining 25 units were handed over to Italy as reparations and used there as class 197 of the FS. Their service life ended between 1925 and 1929.