While the two class 34 electric locomotives were procured for the transport of freight trains on the Ferrovia della Valtellina, which was electrified with 3,000 volts three-phase alternating current, five class 30 and 32 railcars were created. They consisted of a nearly 19 meter long car body and two bogies, whose four axles were all driven and were also manufactured by Ganz. Class 30 was divided into a saloon and a compartment with 24 first-class seats, in class 32, in addition to the first-class compartment, there was a third-class compartment with 32 seats and a room for mail and luggage. At the FS they were given the designations E.1 and E.2 with the serial numbers E.1-5 and E.21-25.
The inflexible three-phase system posed greater problems at the required speed, which was higher than that of the class 34. If the engines were designed for a higher maximum speed, it would not have been possible to generate sufficient starting power. This was solved by the fact that the inner motor on each bogie was only operated with 300 volts and was used for starting. Later it was switched to the outer motors, which received the 3,000 volts directly from the overhead line and were sufficient for up to 66 km/h. The number of poles in the motors has been switched for finer control. The power was initially picked up by trolley contacts, but since these were unreliable, they were soon replaced by contact strips. The engines were spring-mounted and power was transmitted via hollow shafts, which was remarkable for the time. The vehicles were stationed in Monza between 1914 and 1923 and were then used as passenger cars without a motor for a long time.