In 1959, the Romanian State Railways received six diesel-electric locomotives built in Switzerland. The mechanical part came from SLM, the electrical part from BBC and the engine from Sulzer. In 1960, Electroputere in Romania started license production and until 1993 they manufactured a total of 2,490 units. The CFR only procured locomotives of this type up to 1981 and received a little more than 1,400 units. About 400 each went to the state railways of Poland and China. At the very end of the production period, orders were only received from private railways. The 060 DA1 variant had a modified gear ratio for 120 km/h.