Similar to the German class 52, the 2-10-0 from the British War Department's austerity program was a ten-coupled, light-footed goods locomotive for use in World War II. It shared cylinders with the Austerity 2-8-0, but featured an additional coupled axle. Due to the same driver diameter, the length of the locomotive was increased and the weight increased by about eight tons, but the axle load fell to 13 tons 9 cwt. While the firebox on the 2-8-0 was located between the wheels of the two rear coupled axles, on the 2-10-0 it was shorter, wider and positioned above the wheels.
Of the 150 built, the majority saw service in France after D-Day to support the British Army. 20 of the first batch had already been delivered to the Middle East for the same task. After the end of the war, most of them stayed abroad. A total of 103 pieces came from France to the Netherlands and were used there by the NS as class 5000. Four remained in Syria as class 150.6 of the CFS and 16 in Greece as class Λβ of the SEK. Eight survived in Greece in varying condition, two of which were later returned to the UK.
In Britain, British Railways bought 25 from the War Department in 1948 and used them in Scotland. They were treated by BR like standard locomotives and classified in the second highest performance class 8F. Since their performance largely corresponded to the Austerity 2-8-0, which was available in larger numbers, both types were used together. From 1957 another engine from the Longmoor Military Railway joined them. All engines remained in service until May 1961, but the vast majority were retired in December 1962.