The Saxon class VII T included various two-axle local railway tank locomotives, most of which still came from the private railways. Later, the state railway procured another 42 locomotives that were similar to the existing ones. Like other local railroad locomotives, they were of simple design, since cheap maintenance was more important than high speeds or high tractive effort. Because the production batches were a total of twelve years apart, there were some changes from batch to batch. For example, the first engines only took the live steam from a regulator on top of the boiler, but the later ones had a large steam dome. The braking effect was only on the wheels of the locomotive, an air brake was not yet available.
There was also a one-off that had a longer wheelbase, larger wheels, was lighter and was 5 km/h faster. However, it was not built in series and retired in 1927. The Reichsbahn took over 29 of the 42 production machines in 1925 as numbers 98 7051 to 98 7079. After the Second World War, all remaining examples came to the Reichsbahn of the GDR and the last ones were used there until 1967. One of them still exists today in its original color scheme.