After the class IV freight locomotives had been converted from the 0-6-0 wheel arrangement to 4-4-0, the Royal Württemberg State Railways realized that new locomotives with three coupled wheel sets were needed for routes with a lot of gradients, such as the Geislinger Steige. The result was the type F, which could be recognized by its short wheelbase and large overhangs at either end.
On the Geislinger Steige, which had now been upgraded, it was able to prove that it could cope with the growing freight traffic, and a total of 98 units were procured over a period from 1864 to 1881. The boiler, which was more powerful with a pressure of twelve bars, was later taken over from the derivative F 2, which was only procured in very small numbers. The cabs were also replaced with a more modern one with better protection from the elements. Thus, between 1890 and 1910, all Class F locomotives were rebuilt to the new standard.
After the conversion, they remained in use for a few more years. In the 1920s, however, the end had come for them as well, as was the case with almost all old freight locomotives with a 0-6-0 wheel arrangement. In addition, it is no longer known exactly whether it only got the new number on paper or whether it was actually renumbered.