The Class 1001 were 0-6-0 wheel arrangement goods locomotives designed by William Bouch and purchased by the North Eastern beginning in 1852. They were of the long boiler design popular in the 1840s, designed to lower the center of gravity. The long and thin boiler protruded completely with the smoke box and firebox to the front and rear, but this was less limiting for a slow goods locomotive. The small firebox was also well suited for operations where high power was only required for short periods of time. The steam supply of the boiler could be used up when accelerating and then refilled.
No. 1275 in National Railway Museum in York
The production ran for a period of 23 years. The total of 192 examples came partly from North Eastern's own workshops in Darlington and Shildon, others were sourced from several companies. The first locomotives were built without a driver's cab and later retrofitted with one. As part of further modernization, larger tenders were also attached. The last engines built in the 1870s were retired by 1923.