Even before the 07 1001, the Reichsbahn had converted another French steam locomotive for firing with coal dust and designated it as 08 1001. It was an example of the class 241 A, which was built in 1931 for the French Eastern Railway and was situated in Greifswald not ready for operation until 1952. As one of the few Mountain steam locomotives in Europe with a 4-8-2 wheel arrangement, it was an extraordinarily powerful express locomotive and was therefore ideal for testing with coal dust.
Like the 07 1001, it had a four-cylinder compound engine, the low and high pressure cylinders of which acted on the first and second coupled axles according to the de Glehn system, which is rarely used in Germany, and could be controlled separately. The large combustion chamber favored the new type of firing, and so the conversion began in 1952. However, the engine could not prove its efficiency because the boiler pressure had been reduced from 20 to 16 bar and the maximum speed was set at 110 km/h for safety reasons. The result was that the expectations had not been met and the locomotive was scrapped after just 34,000 km. The tests were then continued with the 07 1001, but with relatively little success.