Three series of freight locomotives were designated as type V, of which a total of 173 were built between 1859 and 1887. What they all had in common was that the wheelbase of the second and third wheel sets was visibly shorter than that of the first and second wheel sets. However, different systems were used for the valve gear and the brakes. Only the third series had a continuous Westinghouse brake.
In addition to the Royal Saxon State Railways, the Serbian State Railways also received nine identical locomotives. While the Serbian State Railways retired the locomotives shortly after the end of the First World War, the Reichsbahn took over eleven more and used them as the class 5382 until the end of the 1920s.