In addition to the D VI, six-coupled tank locomotives were also procured for steeper local railway routes. While the smaller D VI was built by both Maffei and Krauss from the start, these manufacturers supplied two different models for the higher requirements. One of them was the D V from Maffei, which, however, could not meet the requirements placed on it and was therefore only built ten times. In contrast, the D VII from Krauss was able to convince, and so both companies now delivered a total of 75 pieces at the same time up to 1885.
As with its smaller sister, vacuum brakes were installed right from the start, which were later replaced by air brakes. For use on steep stretches, it was also fitted with a Riggenbach counter-pressure brake. With the exception of one example, the Reichsbahn took over all of them and classified them as class 9876. Their decommissioning began soon after the takeover and was completed by 1935. One machine each survived in the Nuremberg and Hof depots and was used there for shunting until 1960. A previously decommissioned example, the former number 1854 or 98 7658, can now be viewed in the Localbahn Museum in Bayerisch Eisenstein.