Between 1900 and 1907, the Reichseisenbahnen Alsace-Lorraine procured a total of 215 tender locomotives based on the Prussian G 52. They also had a two-cylinder compound engine. In contrast, they were not only confined to freight trains, but also passenger trains if necessary, for which they received a continuous Westinghouse brake.
A total of four slightly different variants were built by a variety of manufacturers, the first three of which were designated the C29, C31 and C32. On the C32, the boiler was placed higher to make room for a deeper firebox. The last 71 locomotives received no special designation.
The low axle load ensured that the locomotives could be used freely. On branch lines in particular, they replaced old freight locomotives with a 0-6-0 wheel arrangement. Despite the low top speed, they were also actually used to pull passenger trains.
After the First World War, some locomotives were treated exactly like Prussian G 52, partly distributed to Germany and also taken to Poland and Lithuania. Those that remained in France were used by the SNCF from 1938 as 1-130 C until the 1950s. Seven were rescued to Luxembourg during World War II and became part of the CFL.