Since the locomotives later designated as class B had poor running characteristics due to their four cylinders overhanging at the front, George Whale added a leading axle in a Bissel bogie. Although there were no other changes, they were placed in a new class. A total of 26 class E locomotives were built between 1904 and 1908, when the last class B locomotives had just been delivered. Only six were retired as Class E by 1927. Two were given a larger boiler and thus became class F. The rest were converted into class G1 between 1917 and 1924, which again had the 2-8-0 wheel arrangement and only two cylinders without compound action.