The class 11E was created by Robinson from the reduction of the 4-6-0 class 1 in size. A driving axle was removed and the overall length of the locomotive was shortened. The distance between the driving axles was increased and a deeper firebox was placed between them. What was special was that the inside cylinders had outside admission. The ten locomotives were named after directors of the GCR. All were taken over by the LNER and withdrawn between 1953 and 1955.