No. 268 built by the Yorkshire Engine Co.
Locomotive Magazine, March 1899
The last locomotives that Sturrock designed for the GNR were six 2-4-0 express locomotives and a driver diameter of seven feet. These were built half each by Fowler and the Yorkshire Engine Co. The steel driving wheels were an innovation. Since the coupling rods often broke, Stirling converted the locomotives to 2-2-2 wheel arrangement from 1873 onwards. In this form they were more successful and were only retired between 1898 and 1902.