As a derivative of the T19, James Holden designed the T26, which was intended for mixed service. Accordingly, significantly smaller drive wheels were used, which only had a diameter of 5 feet 8 inches. The boiler pressure was initially reduced from 160 to 140 psi compared to the T19. Beginning in 1898, some got a new boiler, again rated for 160 psi. The last ten engines from 1902, which brought the total number to 100, received the new boiler right away.
Locomotive Magazine, August 1912
A special feature of the Great Eastern was that it used air brakes instead of the vacuum brakes that are common in Great Britain. However, since the T26 was also to be used outside of their own network and there it was also to be possible to couple it to foreign cars, it was fitted with both braking systems. The locomotives became class E4 in the LNER and a total of 18 even managed to survive until after the founding of British Railways. Although by this time the era of the 2-4-0 locomotives had long since ended and they were only assigned to the 1MT power class, the last example was only retired in 1959. This made it the last British locomotive with this wheel arrangement. One of the locomotives taken over by the BR is now in the Bressingham Steam Museum in Norfolk.