After the Consolidations of the classes 56 and 60, the D&RG received twelve larger class 70 locomotives in 1881. They were used, among other things, as helpers on a four percent steep incline. Five locomotives were converted to standard gauge in the late 1890s and later reverted to three feet. When the D&RGW was reorganized they became the Class C-19 because they now had a starting pull of about 19,000 pounds thanks to new boilers rated at 160 psi. The number 400 still exists today and has been in service for more than 140 years.